What came to be known as Immanuel Lutheran Church was originally named, "The First German-English Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel's Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession of Pensacola, Florida." This lengthy name caused many to refer to Immanuel as “The German Lutheran Church” in order to distinguish it from the Norwegian Seaman’s Church. By 1969, the name eventually evolved into Immanuel Lutheran Church.
A school attended by German and Norwegian children was built in 1886 at a cost of $391. The school was heated with a potbellied stove and had the “necessary rooms” located outside. A 5-foot ditch down the center of Garden Street was a challenge for the older boys who frequently got wet going home for lunch.
Immanuel helped found many other congregations for the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod in Pensacola and northwest Florida. These congregations include Redeemer, Resurrection, Grace, Jehovah, and St. Matthew. Immanuel is certainly rich in history, but we remain most proud that we are rich in the Word! Visitors who have joined us during Sunday morning worship have enjoyed worshipping with one of the oldest Lutheran churches in Florida in our historic, beautiful, and inspiring sanctuary.
Please use the link entitled "Pictures" under "Immanuel History and Pictures" to view more pictures.